Sunday, October 7, 2012

I Ran Checkdisk...Uh Oh!

Last summer, I ran checkdesk on my HP dv5000 laptop. I watched the progress on the screen. What I saw caused me to break into a cold sweat. I lost 100 system files, due to corruption. Thank goodness I had the recovery partition available. However, by activating the recovery procedure, I had to reinstall my applications. My personal documents were okay. the whole procedure basically took about a day to restore and get everything back in order. Now, I have an Iomega external usb drive, and have backed up all my data. I have also created a set of four DVD recovery disks, and therefore I'm okay. What caused this? I'm running Windows XP Media Edition SP3, and I had some applications that required Net Framework version 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0. Apparently, there were some issues with these versions and the OS. I'm now running Net Framework 2.0, and have uninstalled those applications that required the updates. So far, no more issues. Note, I still run Norton, and use Malwarebytes to scan for junk. I do this once a week, at a minimum. Til then, happy computing! Chas

No comments:

Post a Comment